Don’t bet the farm on it
December 11, 2010 in Quizzes
Once there, two things became very apparent. Macra na Feirme is a youth movement (it pretty much translates as “Young Farmers”) and the crowd were a good bit younger than us. I felt a very old 33!
The other issue on show was that this younger generation seem to have no shame when it comes to cheating. Well, certainly this lot didn’t. It was iPhones to the left of me and iPhones to the right of me. The table beside us, featuring three girls and one guy, took out their phones (two of them) sometime during round #2 and kept them on their laps for the rest of the night. And, what’s more, they still felt enough pride in their work to cheer each question they’d gotten right when the answers were read out!
The quiz itself featured six rounds of 10. I’m sure you’ll think that means the quiz flew by in a matter of minutes. Not a bit of it! First off, the 9pm start time became 10pm. Then we had the raffle, the tickets for which were sold during the interval (i.e. after round #3!) and were then drawn at the end of the same interval (about 30 minutes later). Even then the quizmaster was asked to “hang on” before starting the second half, as several participants were still outside the front door, finishing off their cigarettes.
At the end of the night, the winners finished on 51/60. Our three-handed team came in fifth on 47. Questions ranged from ‘What do the letters IMF stand for?’ to those I’m about to outline below. The term ‘crap shoot’ pretty much nails it.
- What is the world’s most popular non-alcoholic drink?
- Who is the 2010 Moto GP World Champion?
- Who is the Claremorris player to have won two Gaelic Football All-Star awards?
- In what stadium do the Ospreys rugby team play?
- Who was the first person eliminated from the live TV stage of this year’s X-Factor?
- What name did TV chef Jamie Oliver give his son who was born this year?
- What is the name of The Script’s current album?
- Which Mayo Teagasc office was recently closed down?
- In what year did comedian Dermot Morgan die?
- In what year was the Irish smoking ban introduced?
Give ‘em a lash. Answers tomorrow.