Are you smarter than a 10-year-old?
March 26, 2014 in Quizzes
Seeing as he was also the principal back in my own youth at the same school, I did what I was told.
Seriously though, I don’t think I needed that advice. It’s part of the quiz master’s job to judge the potential crowd and what sort of questions will both challenge them and be attainable. Too hard is bad, true. But so is too easy. (Here I mention the Ballyhaunis town quiz where the winners got 99 out of 100!)
At the end of this night, the winning team scored 79/100, which I regarded as a pretty good par score.
Would you like to have a go at some of the questions? Read on so.
The quiz featured seven rounds of regular questions, with titles such as ‘Captains’, ‘Children’s Books’, ‘St. Patrick’ and ‘the Rossie Round’.
Here’s a selection of questions:
- Prestbury Park has been in the news all through this week. It is located on the outskirts of which British town?
- In what South African city is the Oscar Pistorious trial taking place?
- Who was the captain of the British ship the Bounty, overthrown by a famous mutiny in 1789?
- Which player has captained Spain to their three consecutive international tournament wins?
- Which 1894 book by the future Nobel Prize winner Rudyard Kipling was turned in to a very successful Walt Disney movie in 1967?
- Which series of books, the first of which was published in 2007 with the eighth being published last year, tell the story of a boy named Greg Heffley and his struggles in school? So far, the series has also produced three movies.
- When St Patrick was first in Ireland he had to serve as a shepherd. He did so on Slemish, a mountain in which county?
- St. Patrick’s Athletic are the current League of Ireland champions. In which Dublin suburb is their home ground, Richmond Park, located?
- The river Shannon forms Roscommon’s eastern boundary. What river forms its south-western boundary?
- In what year did the Roscommon ladies gaelic football team win the senior All-Ireland title?
- The winner of two acting Oscars in the last five years, the actor Christoph Waltz was born in which country?
- Russia will host a Formula One Grand Prix for the first time this year. In what sporting city will it take place?
I recycled the cartoon characters round I created last Summer for a quiz in Headford, and put this one together as well:
Update: Answers here.