The scores were very close at last night’s quiz in Gilligan’s, Claremorris. My team, The Pub Spies, led at half-time by two points but, alas, had a bit of a ‘mare after the break. To cut a long story short, we ended up tied in the lead on 95/110 with, funnily enough, the team whose answer sheets we’d been correcting all night, Eurovision. So, a playoff was announced.
Now, I’m pretty sure the evening’s quiz master had turned up without any playoff questions! However, he did a pretty good job of thinking some up during a five minute spell. Here’s how the playoff went:
- In the world of cycling, what is a Mamil? (As it turned out, this should be written MAMIL)
- Which team are the current Heineken Cup champions?
- Which two European capital cities are closest to one another?
- Claremorris native Lucinda Creighton is the Minister of State for what portfolio?
- In journalistic short-hand, what does the term “manne” signify?
Stone the crows, but both teams ended up on 2/5. Due to the fact that it was getting late, and that there weren’t any more questions, it was then decided that our scores from the main part of the quiz would be examined to see who got the most 10s. Unfortunately, ‘they’ did, and we were defeated by 4-3.
I suppose it was fitting that a team named after the event that first introduced me to the term ‘countback’ should end up winning.
Read the rest of this entry →